Friday, May 15, 2009

The Way of Nature

Today i was surprised by a flock of birds chirping noisily as i had my morning tea alone.   I looked out into the garden and saw about 10 little birds flying back and forth from one tree in my garden to various spots around it.   They seemed to be eating something, so i watched closely.  

The birds came back and forth the "yuzu" tree, not a very tall tree, as i cut the top regularly so it only grows up to my shoulder.  It has been a good tree, bearing about 6 to 10 yuzu fruit every winter. 
   
I remember more than two weeks ago i noticed a few butterflies flying around it and earlier this week i was worried when i saw some young leaves eaten.  I contemplated about picking those caterpillars, not quite sure if i have the gut (nor the heart) to kill them as much as i am scared even to touch them.    I could have asked my daughter who is never scared of any insects, but i know she would say no to killing her favorite insects.

Now i was somewhat relieved to see the birds feeding on the caterpillars and some of the larvae. After all the nature works so wonderfully around us that we sometimes should take our hands off and just watch the wonder of God's creation.   

As i am typing this, i can hear the chirping noise quiet down.   They had finished lunch, i guess.   Now it is time for mine....


No comments:

Post a Comment